December 30, 2009

Happy New Year!

I can hardly believe that 2009 is coming to a close!  In many ways it has flown by, in others, it has felt like the longest year of life.

The Lord has taught us a great deal about life, love, sacrifice, marriage and parenting this year.  It has been, without a doubt, the most challenging year of our lives.  But in the sleepless nights and colic, the Lord's grace has been abundant.  He brings challenges to us in order to refine us.  Malachi 3:3 talks of the Lord refining His people and them becoming righteous as a result.  This is a hard truth of the Christian faith.  If I am to become more holy, I will have to walk through the fire of suffering and live in a way that opposes everything the world tells me is right.  Things that are natural must become unnatural.  He must become greater, I must become less (John 3:30).  Sin must be put to death.  And death hurts. 

Suffering is not fun stuff.  Sure, certain ways people suffer may look appealing or "godly".  But in the depth of our hearts, we don't want to suffer, ever.  A call to Jesus is a call to suffer.  2 Timothy 3:12 tells us that "All who desire to live a godly life will be persecuted."  We are called to share in His sufferings (Philippians 3:10) .  The Bible is loaded with verses about this issue.  But its not one that gets much press in the pulpit.  I have to be honest with you, if you have heard that the call to Jesus is a call to be rich, healthy, and happy all your days, you have been very deceived.  To submit to Christ is to sign a blank contract.  He makes the calls, all the time.  And you trust His goodness. 

There is a page that my Bible tends to fall open to.  I have an index card wedged somewhere around Psalm 119 and it reads "For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts" (Isaiah 55:9).  This is a verse I have to read over and over.  The circumstances of life aren't always fun.  I easily become discontent, overwhelmed and resentful (among other things).  The truth is this.  Jesus left the perfection of Heaven to live in this broken world and die a death I deserved so that I could live in glory with Him one day.  That truth, is worth my life. 

So as 2010 rolls in my prayer is this: that you and I would love the Lord God with all our hearts, souls, and with all our minds.  Where suffering is found, holiness is close at hand.  The fire is hot....but the beauty on the other side is more than you could ever imagine.

No comments:

Post a Comment