October 17, 2010

Ananias of Damascus (Acts 9:10-17, 22:6-16):


9 Mediations on the man we named our 1st born son after
 

3. God calls Him by name.


Did you know that there are some 200 billion stars in our galaxy? And our galaxy is 1 of 100 Billion galaxies? That is more than my mind can even grasp. And check this out: Psalm 147:4 says, “He determines the number of the stars; he gives to all of them their names.”  God determines the exact number of stars in each galaxy and not only that, he names them! I share this because I am blown away with how big and ultimate God is.  The next thing I love about Ananias is that the same Ultimate God that created and named all the stars speaks to Ananias by name (Acts 9:10b), “The Lord said to him in a vision, ‘Ananias.’” There is something powerful to reading Holy Scripture and seeing God call people out by name.  We love that Ananias is one of those men!  This reminds me of a wonderful phrase that a friend and hero (Matty B) introduced to me, “God is Ultimate and Intimate.” He is Ultimate enough to create and name trillions and trillions of stars, yet intimate enough to knit Nias together in Rachel’s womb and number each of his hairs.  Psalm 139:13-14 "For you formed my inward parts; you knitted me together in my mother's womb. I praise you for I am fearfully and wonderfully made. Wonderful are your works; my soul knows it very well." Matthew 10:30 "But even the hairs of your head are all numbered." Who knew the stars in the sky and the hairs on your head had something in common, they are numbered by our Creator!

Nias,
I pray that you would know the glories of the Ultimate God that created everything, yet is the Intimate God who we pray calls you by name.

No comments:

Post a Comment